The Melbourne Conservatorium of Music has a selection of musical instruments including strings, woodwinds, brass and early music instruments that are available for loan to current students for use in course-related activities. All instrument loans are subject to the recommendation of your teacher and approval of the responsible academic staff member.
Instrument loans require a refundable deposit of $200 and a loan fee of $100 per semester. Certain valuable instruments may require a higher deposit.
To organise an instrument loan:
- Seek support of the responsible academic staff member – your subject coordinator, teacher, ensemble director or convenor of instrument area, who may recommend a particular instrument to you.
- Contact the Instrument Loans Manager, Victoria Watts (email@example.com) to reserve an instrument, obtain information about loan fees and deposit payments and make an appointment.
- The Instrument Loans Manager will issue a loan agreement form for you to sign, receive your payment, issue a receipt and hand over the instrument.
- You will then be permitted to take the instrument off campus for practice during the Semester and keep it safely at your address.
- Students are responsible for looking after the instrument for the duration of loan period and ensuring that the instrument is kept safe and in good repair.
- Students are not permitted to pass the instrument on to anyone else.
- Instruments must not be left in motor vehicles, unlocked rooms or otherwise left unattended.
- All instruments must be returned personally to the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music Front Office or the Instrument Loans Manager.
Instruments must be returned by the due date. A penalty of $100 will be imposed immediately an instrument is overdue, with an additional charge of $5 per day imposed for each day that the instrument is late.